Wednesday, August 26, 2009

...School Days...


This little boy started preschool yesterday. I can't believe he's old enough!! Wasn't he just my cuddly baby? I was worried about how he'd handle preschool since he still cries when we take him to nursery at church, but he did great! He lined right up with his class gave me a kiss and a hug then waved goodbye and off he went. He had so much fun. They learned a song called Mr. Sun and he's been singing ever since. What a cutie.




And this boy started Kindergarten! He has been so excited, this day took forever to get here. It was so exciting in fact that Mommy actually got out of bed early and made everyone a big yummy breakfast so we could be ready for the big day.
We went yesterday and met his teacher and got to see his classroom. She had his name backwards on his name tags lol. Bryan Parker. But all he knew was that those are his names and it made no difference to him. She did have it fixed this morning. As excited as I've been though I have been a little apprehensive about school starting. Preschool never bothered me, it's in someones house, not full of hundred of students. nice and controlled. But Elementary School? There are sooo many people there, so many that I don't know, whose parents I don't know, and whose thoughts I don't know. What if kids are mean to him, what if he makes bad friends, what if he gets into trouble, and the biggest what if, what if someone comes into his school and tries to hurt him!? And I'm not there to help keep him safe. I know most those things are just part of school and that I can't control it all, but given the way I finished out my high school experience I can't help but be worried. In fact when we got to go see his classroom and see where he would sit I was a little bothered that his seat is right next to the hall door. If someone came into that room with bad intentions he'd be right there.
So after I dropped him off today I got in the car and said a little prayer for him, that he could be safe, and have fun. And that he'll never have to know what it's like to be so scared and so confused, and that school can be a happy, fun experience for him always. He's only been gone an hour and already I'm sitting here anxiously waiting to go back and get him and make sure he's okay. Please let him always be okay.

5 comments:

Ginna said...

I'm with you on all that. :)

Kathy said...

Grandmas are not supposed to cry when their grandkids start school are they? Well you made me. Such sweet pictures and I prayed for them too. I can't believe they are that old either. But then I can't believe you are that old and I am this old.

Love you all...

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for them to be in school. It is so fun and they make great friends, some of which they will have the rest of their lives. Yes, there is a fear factor, but after Columbine most schools have a plan in place in case someone tries to harm anyone. Our school does and I would put my life on the line for any of our students. We know how to keep everyone safe and have practice lock-downs every year.(one real) Schools are much safer than they have ever been.

Joan said...

Those TWO BOYS are ready for school.
Such sweet pictures...We have all of them in our prayers.

K said...

Don't I understand every stick of this. I remember even how I felt myself on those first days of school - which shows you how powerful the experience is. All you can do is do your groundwork and pray. But look at these shots - can you tell that Parker and Max are related - that CHEEZY picture smile!!!