Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Our Homemade Christmas

So the other day I was at the store looking for some halloween decorations and found that Halloween was squished into one small aisle, on clearance, and what was the big section devoted to?? Christmas. I'm sure Dad is rolling over in his grave. He never did like all the shopping and advertising of stuff at Christmas time. So in honor of Dad, and our lack of finances and need for big gifts, we have having a homemade Christmas this year.

I'll admit I may be going a little crazy with ideas and plans, because that what me and my bipolar manic mind like to do, but I've found so many cute ideas and can't wait to make them all. I can't post them all of course since if you are reading this there is a chance that some of them could be headed your way, but I'll post what I can.

I've spent a lot of time browsing all the cute crafty blogs out there for great, and inexpensive ideas. So get ready to be inspired and awake the hidden crafter inside of you.

For starters check this out from The Idea Room

It's a magnetic silly faces picture. You take a picture of your kids and make magnetic pieces they can add to it. I thought this would be a great idea for a fun addition to the boys church bags.

So first I went to Home Depot and found some of this for only .95a piece. 8x12 sheets of galvanized metal. I'm going to glue a background on and a picture of each boy for each of their own boards. Then I'll get the printable magnetic paper and print the different parts and cut them out. Then I'm going to make zipper bags to attach to the back to hold the pieces and frame it up.I'll post the finished product when I'm done. Be sure to go over the The Idea Room and check them out :)

2 comments:

Lechelle said...

super cute! I love the homemade christmas. We started it last year and I felt like not only were the presents more affordable, but with all the time I put into them I felt they were more thoughtful too. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

K said...

Cool idea, Kari - we're going small this Christmas, too. Games, food, puzzles and movies - if any of the kids even make it here. Ken and Guy always felt the same way about Christmas. I have to admit, I don't - I was thinking I probably should be putting up the Christmas lights right now, before it gets so stinking cold -