So I've decided that I'd like to legalize my business and get all my licencing done. There's a lot to do though. And I can't decide if the benefits will be worth all the extra expenses. For one I have to change my home owners insurance because our currant one doesn't like home businesses that deal with food, and if something should happen and it is in any way business related they won't cover us. So there's an extra 240 a year for insurance, then there's all the taxes. I don't really have any idea what those will be like. It's been nice being able to pocket most the money I make, but at the same time I always worry about getting in trouble for not being licenced. And I probably wouldn't be able to offer gluten free cakes anymore (lots of restrictions on how/where items can be processed) and that's a big part of what I do.
So I wonder how much time do I really have to dedicate to making cakes? I'd like to do 3 or 4 a month, but at the same time I've got 3 little boys who don't always like it when I have cakes to make. But I love doing it, and I love feeling like I have something I can contribute financially.
I don't have that much left to do, mostly lots of paperwork, and of course each item I need to submit has to have a check attached to it :( that's the tricky part since I don't want to spend any of our fmaily money on it so I'm just setting aside a little from each cake this summer. So that pretty much means Iw n't make any money but that's ok. Most people say to just wait until my kids are older and I can really have the time to commit to it, but that's soooo far away! And really I'm just not that patient. Besides just because the kids will be older doesn't mean life will be any less busy, and I function better when I have a little bit of stress. I get too bored otherwise and then I get depressed.
If I was legit I could do a bridal show once in a while and advertise more without any worries. And I could purchase supplies at a lower cost from dealers that only sell to businesses. And there's the part where I can say that I am the owner of my very own business, I like that part.
So... I think I'm going to go ahead with all of it. I'm getting to know more and more people with connections int he wedding industry that I can advertise with and I'm getting a lot of calls from random people so that means my name is getting out there. And I'm on the first page of google search now for utah wedding cakes!
So anyways, that's enough of my ramblings, just needed to think it out loud so to speak so I could decide what to do.
On a side note Clayton is sleeping through he night! The whole night! He goes down around 8:30 and sleeps till around 6! It's fabulous. He's the greatest baby ever.
5 comments:
i don't know why they make it so hard and expensive just to do a little home based business. Good luck with the decisions and all their is to do.
What a great baby. He is adorable to boot.
You would have a FABULOUS business :)
Have you checked with the small business bureau? This might be your answer!!! Good Luck..So glad that Clayton is such a good baby, that always helps..Big loves to all
I went thru a similar situation when I made suckers when my family was small. I just didn't like all the regulations. I visited "approved kitchens" that were dirtier and alot worse off than my own. I didn't want to make suckers in those places, but didn't have 2 kitchens of my own. You are brave to take all of this on. And, you are very good!Good luck!!
Decisions, decisions... Sounds like you're really thinking it through. Good luck with all the choices. And so glad to hear that Clayton's one of the 'good ones'! :)
Kari - I have a friend who does what you're doing. Shall I talk to her and get her take on it, or have you made your mind up? We could make some kind of arrangement through my biz - I'm a corp. and can do any kind of business activities I like, so we could get a discount that way. Hmmm.
Oh, and insurance. Kim at Multiserve handles our insurance, which is just as complicated because of the studio. We get our house, biz and cars put together and it saves us a bundle. Wanna talk?
Post a Comment