Sunday, January 28, 2007

Golfer



Aaron's new found love is golf. Even though he's only been on a real course a few times he can't wait for the weather to warm up so he can get out there again. He even got his own set of clubs for Christmas. So for his birthday I thought it only fitting to make a golf themed cake. I started with a bundt cake, but I could have just used a few round pans instead. The original idea was to have the golf ball in the cup in the center of the cake. So i though a bundt would be perfect since it already has a whole in the center. As you can see I changed my mind and did it differently. First I cut the top off the cake to make it flat. Then I filled it with a really yummy filling I found online at cooks.com. It's called Suzy Q filling for chocolate cake. Then I crumb coated the cake with vanilla buttercream. I covered the whole cake with green rolled fondant so I would have smooth area for the "green". Then with tip #233 I made grass on the sides an some of the top. I filled in the middle with cake crumbs to make sand(I saw that trick on a cake competition on Food Network). Then I made the flag form fondant and a toothpick and made the little man from fondant too. Fondant is getting funner to work with. It's almost like modeling clay only edible(but i wouldn't recommend eating it). this was a really fun cake to make, especially since it gave me a chance to try fondant covering a whole cake again. It went much better this time than the first. Next I might try to do a little white cake, like a mini wedding cake. ( and yes I know there are not 27 holes on a golf course, that just how old Aaron was turning)

2 comments:

Shersy said...

You are doing so great with these cakes! I'm really glad that you started a blog too! It's a nice way to stay in touch! I'll add you to my bookmarks ;)

Becky said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm really enjoying the pictures of your cakes. You really have talent! The golfing one is way fun! I'm sure Aaron loved it.