Monday, August 18, 2008

I've been domesticated

My very first try canning :) I've done jam lots of times, but never anything else so since we got a big box of peaches over the weekend I thought I'd give it a try. I probably could have bought canned peaches for a third of the price, but where's the fun in that?
Peaches :) and Strawberry Jam
The aftermath

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look yummy! I'm doing chokecherry syrup again tonight.

Ginna said...

wow, good for you! I really want to do some jam too, I just have to find some berries that aren't a billion dollars a pound.
Do you just love your kitchen at your house? It's nice to have some space to work in.

The Pickled Red Herring said...

No way! That's awesome! I used to help my mom can peaches a LOOOONG time ago, but really I don't know a thing about it. You are amazing.

K said...

The closest I ever came to divorce and maybe renouncing church and citizenship was the year I was determined to be domesticated and canned TONS of pears and peaches and other things - I can't remember what. And you know what? We didn't even eat them all in the end. And my kitchen looked JUST like yours. Except I did it all with Ginna in a baby carrier on my back. I hated EVERYBODY after that period. For a long, long time.

Becky said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! Oh, they look good! Good for you!

Ken Hendricks said...

Peaches and pears always taste better when they are home canned. Also, there is fun in doing the work yourself. I could purchase guitars for quite a bit less than the cost of building them, but, what's the fun of that?

Kathy said...

Good job Kari. It is a good thing to do at least once or twice in your life just so you know you can. I used to do a lot of that canning too but the year I did 4 bushels of pears by myself with 4 little kids underfoot I said that is enough. I actually prefer the store bought peaches better than home canned and the pears are better canned but soooo much work. Yuck. Your looks beautiful and I am very proud of you.

Oh yes I remember the other part I don't like about canning? The BIG MESS!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I am super impressed! You are a true homemaker now!

Miranda W. said...

I have not been domesticated yet. My little apartments kitchen couldn't handle that. Maybe someday when I actually have a kitchen!

I'm so glad you found me! How are you guys doing? Yep, Trev and I are expecting a daughter November 20th. We're so very excited. We're naming her Ali Elizabeth. I miss you. We should get together very soon. I'm pretty much a stay at home now. It's so nice to finally have time to breathe (and nap) but I know that's all gonna change in November.

Humphries said...

I am way impressed. Those pics make me hungry. One of these days i'm going to have to try becoming domesticated, I know that Ben would love it.