Let me just start by saying I
absolutely HATE bedtime!!!! I love the kisses and hugs, stories, songs, and the little game we play with the blankets, but the actual bedtime itself I hate. Why? not because I just love my dear little boys so much I can't bear to part with them till morning, although I wish that were the case. I hate it because no matter how tired Parker is, whether he has had a nap that day or not, he will not stay in his bed!!! I can't lock him in because he practically breaks down the door, and wakes up KC with his screaming. (KC by the way falls right to sleep almost always, hardly and argument). What do I do???? The psych we went to with him suggested that we
completely ignore him when he gets out. Act like he doesn't even exist. And that means if he falls asleep on the floor at our feet then so be it, he sleeps on the floor. He said eventually he will go back to bed and stop coming out because he isn't getting the social interaction that he craves. Do you have any idea how hard it is to ignore Parker? He demands attention in every way every where that he goes. We've tried it a few times, and the first night he was so happy to have free reign to watch
tv with us, play with toys, etc.. that I think he was really happy to not have us bugging him. The only part that bothered
him was when we had
ice cream and he got none. Although he was climbing on our laps the whole time. Try ignoring a crying 3 yr old on your lap begging for
ice cream. Try
carrying on a conversation as if he isn't there at the same time. We eventually went to bed and left him roaming the halls of the dark house,
whimpering, not sure what to do. Finally he took all the blankets off his bed and dragged them into our room crying for help to put them back on. I did get up and help and he went to bed then.It was after 11:00pm. Tonight he got up
probably 6 times, needing water, a snack, go potty, and a bunch of other
nonsense including wanting to floss his teeth. . Then he
snuck into the bathroom, emptied a full, just opened yesterday,
bottle of baby shampoo into the tub. Got my mascara smeared all over his face, and was stacking up his stool and the scale to climb onto the counter to get into who knows what else.
Urgh!!!!!!!
Some days this kid is so good I don't know where he came from, other days it's all I can do to keep my sanity. Tonight we started bedtime at 8:30, he
finally fell asleep after 10. Much faster than usual, but we did spank him a few times to keep him there.
KC crashed so fast, when we went into check on them after Parker fell
asleep this is what we saw. And then I fell in love with them all over again. How can they do that so easily after all they put us through to get to this point.

5 comments:
This probably won't help at all, but with one of ours the doctor suggested that we help them put their body to sleep. Just gently talk "Now your toes are going to sleep. Now that heavy feeling is moving up your feet. Now your ankles are relaxing..." It takes a long time, but some need help slowing down their body.
However, another one of our just hasn't needed sleep from the time he was a baby. We just had to help him understand that even though he wasn't tired, it was bedtime and he had to just lay and look at the ceiling until he could go to sleep. Not sure that will work with a 3 year old, but over time...
Good luck!
Kari,
I've heard that a good way to get them to go to bed, is every time they get out put them back in directly. And ignore them at the same time, so like don't talk to him or yell at him, just every time he gets out put him straight back in. It usually takes a long time the first few times and then gets better.
We did that with Max for time out, and it worked pretty well, he finally got the idea that no matter what he did he was just going to have to sit there until we said he could get up.
anyway, just a thought. Bedtime can be the worst, I know. It's so frustrating and it always makes me feel so bad to get mad at Max, but sometimes after all the stuff he does that he knows he's not supposed to do I'm just furious.
oh well, they are cute when they're snoozing, that's for sure!!
Ginna
Thanks for the tips guys. I always watch Super Nanny and see her do some of that, I think I just need to be more persistent. Can't wait to see you tomorow Ginna!! Parker is so excited to see Max
They are so sweet when they're asleep! I think it's interesting how each kid has their own different "issues." Fortunately, this isn't one we've really dealt with, but we have had some other things that made me scream (hair twisting, potty training, etc.)! I've also noticed how some of Bridget's bad habits are a result of something else, like craving attention or feeling nervous about something.
Motherhood is the hardest job in the world!
I'm with the Super Nanny advocates! :) I love that show. I think she's awesome. And I saw her work that magic on twin girls who wouldn't go to bed. The first time they got out of bed after bedtime was established, she had the parents put them back in and say, "it's bed time (so and so), now go to sleep. We love you, etc." The second time they had to put them back in bed, she had them say, "it's bed time." And the third and every time thereafter, they would say nothing, just take them back to bed and leave. Those girls were beasts! They probably got back out of bed three hundred times (okay, I exaggerate, but close). But they did eventually go to sleep, and the next night it took less time, and the next night even less, etc. I guess they have a normal bedtime routine now...without trauma and angst. I'm a believer! I think the whole point is for the children to see that you're serious and you're not going to bend...ever! It worked with Soren and the "naughty spot." :) Your boys are soooo cute! I love KC sprawled out on his back. We need to get together. We keep saying that, but it never happens. :) Okay, my epistle is done...ta ta.
Post a Comment