Thursday, November 20, 2008

The cake that almost killed me


This cake was so much work!!! For starters I thought that I pretty much knew how to do it and so I didn't practice any of it before hand, opps. That would have saved a good 10hrs of work. I peeled the fondant off twice and redid it until I got the pleats to look the way I wanted. The flowers were a pain until I finally went and bought some gumpaste instead of trying to just add tylose powder to my fondant. And the stand that I ordered still hasn't come!! So I haven't to improvise a little to use the other stand that I have, which is the same, only smaller. So I have to set the cake on top of the rim instead of down inside it, it has a small lip around the edge. So the base isn't finished in the pic yet. I need to go get some ribbon tomorrow to glue around the edges to you can't see the boards.
So basically I'm exhausted. My ankles and feet look like they belong to Fred Flintstone, and my kitchen is covered in a layer of powdered sugar that may never come off. Here is the original picture that the bride sent me. I think I came pretty close. What do you think. If this is the picture of the cake you wanted would you be happy with the end result? Obviously this is staged much better than mine, Hopefully I can get some good pictures when I go deliver it tomorrow and have the base finished.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, Kari! That's gorgeous! I'd definitely be happy, but I'm super easy to please. Sounds like you have a bridezilla on your hands. :)

P.S. I have made friends with your sister-in-law's mother, Kristen Randle. She is awesome! I've been stalking her blog and your sister-in-law's blog to check out their fabulous photography. :) Thanks for sending her over to the Facebook group. She was an incredible addition! (Translation: we couldn't have survived without her voice of reason and contemplation).

Becky said...

It's beautiful! Wow! It's never fun to work for someone who is difficult. I don't know the story, but the imagination runs wild. :) Get some rest!

Jen said...

Wow Kari! That cake is incredible! I can't wait to have an excuse to have you make me a cake!

Sarah said...

Kari, I am very impressed, I think it is beautiful and she should be very happy. If she isn't blame it on wedding stress and tell your self she'll be happy when she thinks back on it later. It really is gorgeous. :)

Ginna said...

I'd be happy for sure. I think you did an incredible job, wow! And I bet you're exhausted.
Good work. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Unknown said...

Kari, you are AMAZINGLY TALENTED! I love the cake, you did SUCH a good job!!! And by the way, congrats on having another boy - I know it might be a little disappointing, but I'm sure you'll have 3 little best buddies who will love growing up together!

Humphries said...

Wow Kari that cake is unbelievable. I would definately be happy with it if I were the bride. I'm sorry you have a bridezilla on your hands, too bad she just can't be nice. Now that you are done go get some rest.

Joan said...

Kari--it is one of your BEST..How did she like it ?? You did a Beautiful work on it..it looks so hard with all the delicate work you did on it... Big loves to all