Thursday, September 27, 2012

Grandpa would be proud

A few months before Dad died Parker had a birthday. He turned 7. Dad wanted Parker to have piano lessons and offered to help with the lesson costs for his birthday gift. So we found a teacher and signed him up. He was not a big fan those first few months and there were a lot of tears. I'm not a very patient helper so his frustrations trying to know what to do turned into my frustrations and it was a bad combination.

So we took the summer off. Fast forward to this last month. KC has been taking a music class called Let's Play Music for the last year and is loving it. This year they are starting to learn to play on the keyboard so we are back at the piano practicing how to hold our hands and how to find a few of the keys. Well this spurred some interest from Parker and he started toying with the keys a little bit again.


We found a new teacher and signed him up. So we've been a month of lessons now, he was able to pick right up where he left off over a year ago and remembered everything. I haven't even had to remind him to practice, he jumps on the piano the second he walks in the door after school. I love it. The funnest thing for Parker isn't learning the songs in the book, it's making up his own. We are quickly compiling a stack of songs he has written. It's so fun to see the way he writes them down and how he is learning. I've never been creative that way with music, Parker felt very bad for me when he asked how many songs I've written and I said none lol. But Grandpa was a song writer and so I'm sure hes looking down at Parker proud as can be.

1 comment:

K said...

This is what Ken hoped for - that interest would dawn, that the gift would go deeper than just the lessons. Ken found mortal life restless-making - except for the music. The music was in his soul. How like him to have left the seeds of it to be discovered by the boys he loves so much.