Friday, March 7, 2008

Cakes





Here are a few practice cakes I did. They are done in buttercream. I usually like to just do fondant, I think its easier and it's so pretty, but I can't always convince everyone that it really does taste alright. I make my own now and it makes such a big difference, I actually like eating on a cake now. So I decided I should practice a little with the buttercream and see what I could come up with. I've started using high ratio shortening instead of crisco and it is amazing. Evelyn took these amazing pictures of them for me. What a difference a real photographer makes! And aren't those fake roses beautiful?! Walmart, who knew you could get such pretty silk flowers. I'm working on a bunch of practice cakes so I can improve the look of my website. Although I may not have to do too many with all the orders I'm getting right now! I already have 4 wedding cakes in June! That makes 6 wedding cakes coming up, plus a few misc other ones. I'm really excited.

7 comments:

Regan said...

Kari, those are so gorgeous. You really have a gift! Seriously!! I thought maybe you were going to say that those were pictures you found online that you liked and were going to copy!

Liz said...

That is a beautiful cake! I wouldn't even want to eat it because I wouldn't want to ruin it. :) I especially love it against the green wall. Those roses are gorgeous.

Ginna said...

All I can say is WOW! Those are gorgeous. I wish we could get married all over again so I could make you create one of those lovelies for me!

Rachel said...

Kari your cakes are so amazing you are really good at what you do! I love the detail on the side it is so sweet!

Ola said...

Wow, looks like you're going to be even busier! :)

K said...

I love the way fondant tastes, myself. Especially when it's chocolate. And it's ironic that they call it "butter cream" when it's really shortening. Crisco has always seemed so harsh and thin to me - like a think line of sweetened grease.

The cake with the roses is fabulous. You are doing so beautifully!!

Stephanie said...

So beautiful! I'm almost sad that I'm already married. I'll just have to have another "wedding cake" for one of my anniversaries so you can make it! :)