Monday, January 5, 2009

Take the house keys out when you shovel...

Ugh back to regular life again. Aaron started school again today and had to go back to work for his first full work week since Christmas. Since he's taking calculus after 10 yrs of no math he has to take a prep course first. Which means for the next few days he goes to work 8-5, then goes to class 6-9. Then gets to come home go to bed and do it all again. So the fun jobs like shoveling the snow and taking out the trash get to be mine this week. I don't really mind, but it sure will be nice when Aaron gets to come home at regular time again and I can let him do these things.

So today it snowed, a lot. A really powdery snow, but probably 6 inches of it and it's still coming down. So I went out to shovel (so the pizza man wouldn't have to trek through the snow to our door). KC wanted to watch from the window and Parker was upstairs playing wii with his friend Dallin. As soon as I closed the front door I heard a little hand lock it. Hoping he was just playing with it and would turn it right back I went about the shoveling and decided to worry about it later. I got about 3/4 done and the pizza man arrived. Yummm. I signed the credit slip and went to go in and the door was still locked. I rang the door bell over and over and over hoping Parker might hear it and come let me in, but unfortunatly when your upstairs in our house its really hard to hear the door. Especially when your jumping and screaming while wii boxing with your best friend. All the while KC was looking out the window at me saying "Come in Mommy!! Just you come in!"
I showed him the pizza and got him to come to the door, and after about 20 minutes of begging and knocking KC managed to unlock the door again. He kept trying but would unlock the handle and lock the deadbolt, or unlock the deadbolt and then lock the handle. Finally he figured out how to get both the right way and I got to come inside.
After dinner I went back out to finish the job, and redo what I had already since now there was another inch or 2 on it again. This time I took the keys with me. And the neighbors even saw me and came over to help.

Parker is also having his first sleepover tonight. Why I'm letting him do this I have no idea. But he really is much easier to deal with all day when he has a good friend to play with. So they were already playing and the thought of a long day again tomorrow was already tiring me out so next thing I know I offered to let him stay over. So we'll see if they sleep tonight, or should I say if I get to sleep tonight.

7 comments:

Ginna said...

Oy. Getting locked out by a little one is the worst, because they really don't know how to let you in. I'm glad you finally got in and didn't freeze to death. And good for you for shoveling. I hate doing that kind of stuff!

Shersy said...

So Sorry to hear about being locked out! I've so been there! Glad that you made it in ok. Hang in there - and rest more. The snow will still be there later!

Lechelle said...

I know I wouldn't be laughing if it happened to me. But it didn't. So HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

K said...

Holy cats. that's one thing that never happened to me. never was locked out of anything while the children were in it. But both Gin and my sister had kids who managed to lock themselves in the bathroom.

Good for KC.

Kari said...

It was actually pretty funny. And I had lots of warm snow clothes on so it wasn't too bad. Although I've been sick ever since!! hmmm, no more shoveling for me lol.
Silly kid thinks its just great that he can reach the door handles and locks now. I find lots of rooms locked throughout the day.

Anonymous said...

I've had that happen but we were all locked out but because of my oldest boy. It's funny now but not at the time!!!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the time I went out to shovel snow and the kids got into the sugar and flour and it was all over them, the kitchen floor, and the living room carpet. What a mess!