Friday, February 9, 2007

Done!







What a crazy day yesterday was. KC did end up having an ear infection, but was surprisingly calm about it all most the day. Parker was another thing though. He was supposed to be sleeping but it was one of those days when he thinks he doesn't need a nap. And instead he was super cranky. But it all worked out and I got the cake done. For my first sheet cake I think it turned out alright. It took about 4 hours to finish including making the filling twice because it turned out funny the first time. I realized that 1% milk is not necessarily the best for fillings so the 2nd time I used heavy cream too and it was much better. Then I was going to put chocolate frosting on it, but couldn't find the recipe that I wanted and being afraid of messing it up and then not having enough ingredients to start over I opted for regular buttercream. So it was alright. And I know, how hard can it really be to make chocolate frosting, but I just wasn't sure what to do and I didn't want it to taste funny. So the cake is kinda interesting because one side has flowers, (the pink were the ones I made, the yellow from the store) and a lighthouse and water because one person who's b-day it was for likes the Oregon coast. So I looked up some info on the internet and found a picture of a lighthouse in Oregon and decided to make that and then the other side has a snowmobile because that's what the other lady wanted. I couldn't really think of a way to make it go together so I just put them in separate corners. It was fun to do and I learned a lot about what I would do the next time to speed up the process. It was fun to be able to frost it and actually have the icing look pretty good. I sure hope they liked it at the office, Aaron took it to work with him so we'll see when he gets home. Making cake while trying to entertain kids is exhausting, especially trying to keep little fingers out of the frosting. I think the most important thing I learned was not to give a 3 year old a large frosting flower to eat so he'll leave you alone. I paid for that mistake the whole rest of the day..

10 comments:

ginna said...

Kari,
it's absolutely beautiful. You're amazing.
Doesn't it seem like they decide they don't need a nap on the very day you really need them to? That's definitely how it is around our house. I hope KC feels better.

We're looking forward to seeing you all so so soon!!

Ginna

Becky said...

Awesome! It looks beautiful. I love the 'snow' around the snowmobile. And your flowers are the best - don't buy anymore!
We ordered a cake from the store for our Blue and Gold back meeting last night. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as yours - and they did it twice!

CoryAnn said...

Looks great you did a good Job I hope you get repeat customers from it

Sarah said...

I like your flowers much better! You are doing great! You need to start a book of all these cakes you do. Can you make them and send them, like to St. George? Just wondering for the future! You're handling mom and business great!

Kari said...

Hey Sarah my parents have a place in St. George and so I could really come down there anytime. I'd love to come and visit and make a cake for you.

Regan said...

Can you come to Austin in August?? We're planning a JoJo's Circus party for Tess' 1st and Bridget's 5th birthdays and I know you could do such a cute cake! This really turned out terrific and I'm sure it tasted great, too.

Anonymous said...

So now you will be a traveling cake
decorator :) It is a very beautiful
cake.your flowers are very good,much better that the ones you bought. I love the lighthouse... Grandma B

Kari said...

Jo Jo's circus how cute Regan! You could make a really cute little circus tent cake with all the little characters. I wish you lived here so I could make it.

Anonymous said...

It is great. You did a great job. It really truned out nice and very personalized. I loved the sonwmobile with the snow. It is really cute.

Shersy said...

How fun! I did get a frosting tip that I have to pass on - just because I really never know these things...A friend uses Kool-Aid to color and flavor her frosting - white base frosting of course! I guess she had made some chocolate cupcakes with Black Cherry frosting - and another friend saw them and weasled the tip out- what a interesting idea - and apparently tasty!