Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Prices



Well, the Denver trip was so much fun and the cake survied the trip. By the time we ate it only the back fin had fallen off. Pretty good I think since I made it on tuesday and we didn't eat it until Sunday. Anyways, making Aarons office cake has already paid off. A woman the he works with is interested in having one made for her sons birthday. This is wonderful however it sent me into a panic over what to charge. I don't want to charge too much, expecially since I am a beginner, but on the other hand making cake with 2 little kids to care for and a house to keep is hard work and I want to make a little money. After all that is the point of it all. So finally I came up with a little price sheet. Its pretty cheesy looking but its a start at least. When I have more time to spend on it I'll make it nicer looking. I even made little order forms to go with it. This has been really fun, but I don't really like worrying about the businss side of it all like pricing, figuring costs, and making sure I keep track of everything. But I'm learning a lot and I like that. And next month I plan on taking a class so I can learn from someone else. Books are great, but I think a class will be lots of fun. Plus its an excuse to get out of the house and what mother doesn't need that every once in a while. I found another class from a bakery in SLC that specializes in wedding cakes. But the 300$ a day cost is a little out of the budget for now. Anyone want to invest in my little business? Just kidding, but I wouldnt turn it down. :).


I'm trying to get my Relief Society to let me make the cake for our R.S. birthday celebration next week. Well see what happens.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good kari. let me know if i can help. im not much at cake making, but can work photoshop pretty well if you need advertisements!

Regan said...

Your flyer made me hungry for cake, so I guess it works! Good luck!

ginna said...

Kari,
the pricelist looks good. I think it's really cute.
Don't be afraid to update and up the price if things turn out different than you think they might though. That's the key. You've got to make some $$ of these things!

And once again, the Mama fish cake was not only the cutest thing I've ever seen but really yummy too.
It was so nice to hang out in Denver.
Love you, Ginna

Becky said...

I think the price list looks great! And pretty reasonable, too! Good luck!

jules said...

Glad you guys, and the cake made it to Denver. Sounds like you guys had a great time! : ) The price list looks good too. Glad things are working out for you!

Shersy said...

Glad to hear that the cake made it - I was wondering! I think the price sheet is great!