Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Strawberries



This last weekend I made a cake for my sis-in law Julie. I had this whole picture in my head of how I wanted the cake to look but it ended up totally different. It still turned out okay though. I made a white cake and wanted to try out a new recipe i found for a strawberry filling. It was sliced strawberries in a strawberry glaze. It was really good, the only problem was when I put in on the cake I didn't make the frosting dam around the edges tall enough and I think I put to much filling in it also. So then the filling was all spilling over the edges. So I though maybe when I put the crumb coat on it would help hold it in, but it was still just a mess. I refrigerated in for awhile and got it mostly under control. Then I put the fondant on. I wanted to do a squiggly pattern on the sides and then some flowers on the top or something, but the crumb coat was too thick since I was trying to hold in the filling and it all squished out the bottom when I smoothed the fondant, and then the bottom started to get some wholes in it. So I just put a strip around the bottom and made a little bow with it. It ended up looking like a hat kinda. I also painted on some white coloring. So it was okay. I still want to try to make one like I had in mind, but I think I'll have to use a thicker filling and a firmer cake. Its been so fun getting to try different things and learn new recipes. And I'm actually starting to get sick of eating cake scraps and frosting which is a very good thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Julie's "CAKE HAT" didn't realize just how much work goes into one of your creations. They have all been so good. Big loves to all- GG

Regan said...

It looks really pretty. Are you amassing a whole collection of cake plates now, or do you mostly use cardboard or something?

Kari said...

I usually just use cardboard and cover it with foil

Sarah said...

Way cute! One of those hidden talents! Did you ever think you'd be so good? Really, they are great!