Monday, February 5, 2007
Yikes
Okay so the carrot cake was pretty good. It cooked forever though! Like almost 2 hours! So next time I'll try my grandmas recipe, according to my mom its practically famous in Millard county. Anyway, so I'm making this cake for Aaron's office and starting to stress about it a little. It's totally different making them just for fun vs. for somebody else, let alone a whole group of somebody elses. I think it will be okay I just wish I was a little better at it. But I've been practicing my flowers all weekend, without a whole lot of luck :(. So I'm cheating a little and paying a bakery to make my frosting flowers to put on it so that I can have some more time to learn and not worry so much about how they are going to look. I think the rest will come together pretty good. So Cory I desperately need you to come and teach me some stuff!! i also need to make a trip to Delta so my grandma can teach me all her tricks. She says she doesn't really remember, but I bet she does better than she thinks. So now that the pressure is on I am looking into taking a few classes to help me feel a little more confident and then I guess I just need to do lots of practice. I'm just not a very patient person and I really enjoy doing things a whole lot more if I can do them well the first time. Just ask my mom. Me and piano lessons were a joke. Its that whole practice thing, I just don't like it that much. But oh well, I guess we all have to start somewhere right. oh and next week I'm going to make a fishy cake for my cute little nephew Max!! I am so excited about that. I really think it's fun making cakes in different shapes. I have to take it to Denver though so I hope it travels well. That could be tricky. Anyhow everything else is going good and I'll let you know how the cake turns out this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Kari there is this book you should get it's called Wilton School Decorating Cakes a reference and Idea book. It shows you how to do a lot of different stuff I use it alot. I would love to come down and show you what I know I still would like to know alot more though. Also have you looked at doing fondant or gum paste flowers I like doing those alot. that book I mentioned teaches you how to do fondant flowers.
Dear Kari,
Here's my carrott cake recipe. I don't know about it being famous, but I did make a lot of them and everyone seemed to like it.
Carrot Cake(this makes a big cake or several smaller ones,so for cut recipe down for whatever you need.
4 cups sugar
3 cups oil
8 eggs
6 cups grated carrots (press down tight into cups)
4 cups flour
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
2 tsp soda
2 cups chopped nuts
Coconut (if desired,I always put it in) Probably about 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on how much you like)
Bake at 325 for 40 min or longer depending on how big your pans are.
Cream cheese frosting
1 cube margarine or butter
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar or enough to make a good spreading consistency.
If it seems too thick add a little milk. Mix together until light and fluffy.
Good luck with your cake for Aaron's office. I'm sure you will do a really good job.
I heard that your football cake was very cute. You are amazing
I think I could learn from you.
Love Grandma Betty
Dear Kari,
Here's my carrott cake recipe. I don't know about it being famous, but I did make a lot of them and everyone seemed to like it.
Carrot Cake(this makes a big cake or several smaller ones,so for cut recipe down for whatever you need.
4 cups sugar
3 cups oil
8 eggs
6 cups grated carrots (press down tight into cups)
4 cups flour
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
2 tsp soda
2 cups chopped nuts
Coconut (if desired,I always put it in) Probably about 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on how much you like)
Bake at 325 for 40 min or longer depending on how big your pans are.
Cream cheese frosting
1 cube margarine or butter
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar or enough to make a good spreading consistency.
If it seems too thick add a little milk. Mix together until light and fluffy.
Good luck with your cake for Aaron's office. I'm sure you will do a really good job.
I heard that your football cake was very cute. You are amazing
I think I could learn from you.
Love Grandma Betty
I came on to make a comment and see that we get your grandma's recipe too! Yea! and thanks!
Good luck, and we're looking forward to hearing how it goes with the cake!
The only tip I have learned about carrot cake is - don't use baby carrots. They are too hard to grate! I'm going to snitch this recipie - for those times I really need a carrot cake fix - thanks Grandma Betty!
I have an amazing carrot cake recipe as well, if you ever need it, just let me know!
Post a Comment