Friday, January 4, 2008

The hallway...

This story is a little embarrassing, just because it shows my lack of organization at times when it comes to housework. But at our old house the laundry room was in the hallway, there wasn't much room inside, and since it also had the water heater and furnace next to the washing machine, we couldn't keep any laundry in the room itself. So most of the time there was a pile of clothes in the hallway next to the laundry room. There were a few times that I actually got caught up and finished the laundry on the same day, or week, that it was started and you could walk down the hall without any obstacles, but it was rare. So last September we were in Blackfoot visiting Aaron's parents. Parker was getting ready for a bath and had taken off his clothes. I asked him to pick them up and go put them with the dirty clothes and he turn to his Grandma and asked, "Grandma, do you have a hallway?" Well Grandma Sue was a little confused, and I'm sure she thought we were a little messy at home after I explained why Parker might think he needs a hallway in order to dispose of his dirty laundry.
Well, at our new house the laundry is off the kitchen, kind of a pain, but also good because now the clothes have to be kept in basket in our rooms, not on the floor in the kitchen :) So we were cleaning Parker's room up and I asked him to pick up the dirty clothes. Parker is EXCELLENT at cleaning his room all by himself. He even tries to make the bed now. Its very cute, he is very proud of it when he is done, and poor KC can't come anywhere near it for fear he could spoil all that hard work and make a mess again. So anyways, I came back to check on the progress and the clothes were in a pile on the floor, not in the basket I had placed in the closet. So I asked him again to put the clothes away in the laundry, he looked a little confused and lost. Suddenly the lights come on in his head and he looked at me with excitement. "Mom! I know! I can put my hallway in the closet! That's where it could be!"

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

All I could do was giggle the whole time I was read. I don't really have anything to comment about, just thought I would let you know how much I enjoy your stories!

Liz said...

Ha ha ha ha....Ha ha ha ha ha! I love it. That's awesome. Parker thinks the laundry is the hallway. Oh, that's just too good! Well, honestly, I can't keep up with the laundry either, but luckily I am able to keep it off the floors (meaning that it's in piles everywhere else - beds, treadmill, climbing cube, etc.). :)

Sarah said...

Not embarassing, just cute! What a good little helper!

Becky said...

Funny!!

Ginna said...

I like that story, aren't kids funny? It's so funny what things they decide should be a certain way. The idea of moving his "hallway" to the closet is just hilarious!

K said...

Wow. The thing we don't understand is, kids don't come understanding words, they learn words through living - so he's got a very specific idea of what the word means through his experience of its usage in your old house. This is a terrific lesson, really - they also don't know what love, mad, angry, embarrassed, sorry and a whole lot of other words we throw at them actually mean. Maybe we still don't understand some of those words ourselves!!

Anonymous said...

I remember Parker asking about the hallway. That is so funny how he figured it all out.

Ola said...

I don't think it's embarrasing... We've all been there at one point but didn't have kids or they were too little to remember... :)

Regan said...

That's so cute! You're doing a great job recording all these funny stories. We think back to things Bridget used to say or do and it seems like another lifetime, but it always makes us smile to think of it. I'm glad Parker is so good at picking up!

Kathy said...

Parker definitely has a way of expressing himself. He always makes me smile. Can't wait to come and see the kids when I get all better.

Shersy said...

What a blessing to have a child that likes to clean up! Very cute story!