
Finally! Last year I bought a bunch of 4" deep cake pans. Instead of baking two seperate layers for the cakes I'm doing the cake in one pan and swirling in the filling to the batter before baking. It's very yummy this way, but those pans are a pain! You may think you'd just bake them longer, but no, if only it was that simple. I have to turn the oven temp way down, and bake for hours. I figured out the 4", 6", and 8" pan, but that 10" was eluding me. The cake keep falling, the batter overflowing, after many tries and lots of wasted cake, I was going to give up and go back to my 2" layers.
But finally i did it!! It only took 2 tries this time. 2.5 hours of baking each time. But look! a 4" cake, evenly baked throughout. This is a white cake with raspberry swirl. The center looks different because I have to use a baking core so the center heats evenly with the side. Then I have to take the cake from the core piece and plug the hole.
Now to try the 12" pan...
8 comments:
I have often thought about purchasing a deep cake pan but wasn't sure how the results would be. Thanks for you posting on this topic!
As always, I am so impressed with you.
I love the paint! You're so tricky!
I was just doing some blog stalking and found you on Janiene Grover's blog. I hope you don't mind. I've just started making wedding cakes this past year as well. Although, you've made a lot more than me! I think you pricing is great, and I was wondering if you make your cakes from scratch, and if so, where do you find good recipes? I'm struggling with that part. My name is Stephanie and my email is stephchristensen@hotmail.com And if you don't want to share, that's great too. I just thought I'd ask. Thanks! You're cakes are beautiful by the way
Way to go, Kari! I have wondered about those pans, too. I almost bought one, but I couldn't believe how long they take to bake!! I don't have the patience. I am looking at some other cake recipes to make from scratch and if you look on the Family site, Reg has a blog for a lady who used to own a bakery and has a few recipes on there. It is listed under the roll recipe in the recipe section of the site! They sound so good!!
I like the paint color choice, too. Isn't it great to own your own home and make those fun decisions??
So glad you got to get that cake to work out. It opens up a whole new world.
What a cool concept. Or not so cool, because it's baking stuff, which has to be hot. I never learn how to use tools because I never play and experiment. You have inspired me!!
That is amazing. And what a brilliant idea, I am sure it will be a big time saver as well. Very cool.
Post a Comment