Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My baby no more

The time has come. KC has moved to the toddler bed.
I didn't really want to do this yet, I have to say that I liked that I could put him in his bed and leave him without him escaping. But today things changed.
KC was getting tired and cranky and ready for a nap, I needed to put some laundry away, so I put him in his crib while I finished putting his clothes away. I had to get something so I left the room for a minute. When I came back KC was half way out of his crib. Luckily I was able to get him and he didn't fall. The crib has also been KC's favorite teether. He chews on the top rail ALL the time. I tried putting plastic guards on it, but he always pulled them off, and when I tied them on, Parker took them off. So I gave up. Well I thought he was getting over the crib chewing, but on closer inspection of the bed today I found wood splinters all over the floor under the crib, and some inside it.
Aaron's brother Jared made the crib for us, and I've loved it. But one of the down sides of having a home made crib is that once it's been taken apart and put back together so many times, the screws don't hold very well anymore. And it was getting pretty rickety, I'm sure KC's shaking of it when he wanted out didn't help much either.

Anyways, sorry about the long explaination, but basically the crib was on its last leg anyways, and I didn't want KC climbing out and hurting himself, so I got out the drill and took it apart. And into the little bed he went.
He was very excited about it too.
After I got the blankets on he climbed right up onto his pillow and kept saying lovingly, "My night night, my night night"
So then it was time for his nap. I layed him down, and tucked him in. I went out and closed the door.
And out he came. He can open doors now, yet another wonderful thing about a growing toddler who wants to get into everything.
He was pretty happy that he could get out of bed all by himself, and even get out of the room. He just opened the door and gave me a big goofy smile. I told him it was nap time and to go back to bed. He closed the door. A few minutes later I didn't hear anything, which can only mean three things.
1. He's ransacked the place very quietly and is busy pullling all the clothes out of dressers and smearing diaper rash all over the wall.
2. Something bad has happened and he's unable to cry for help.
3. He's asleep
I crossed my fingers and prayed for number 3 and opened the door to check on him.


Whohoo! number 3!!!

7 comments:

Regan said...

Awww, that's so sweet! We've been contemplating when to move Tess over. Well, actually, her crib converts to a toddler bed, and we'll probably be doing it in the next six months or so. KC looks so cute!

K said...

When it came time to take M's crib apart, I felt like somebody had died. Last baby. The crib gone. It was at once wonderful and a terrible blow.

Caveat: once, Cammon was crying in his big boy bed, and I was going to ignore him. But I gave in and checked him, and he'd gotten his fingers pinched in the lamp we had clamped to his head board. If I hadn't checked it out, he would have lost the fingers.

My question is: how do they survive us?

Stephanie said...

How cute!! I was reading your post imagining Jack doing those things. I don't know if Jack will ever be able to take a nap when he gets a big boy bed because I will be too busy laughing at how proud he acts when he "does it all by himself". I'm so happy he was a good boy for you and went to sleep. :)

Liz said...

Woohoo! I had my fingers crossed for number three! He's so cute in his little bed. I love your three possibilities. Those are always running through my head when the house goes quiet. :) Here's hoping for an uneventful night for you.

GrannySharon said...

What a darling way to keep us all in suspense!! And an even cuter picture. I hope he does this each and every time for you...I'll cross my fingers.

Ginna said...

well hopefully he can get used to the bed and tomorrow's nap will last longer! Transitions are so hard, but I think that was a good call about retiring the crib.
Best of luck, naps are the most important thing, aren't they?

Kathy said...

That is so sweet. I am glad he likes his new bed. Always a hard transition.