Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New Cake

I just got an order for an incredible wedding cake for June. I am beyond excited about it. 5 tiers of different heights, lace, pearls, a rose garland, a monogrammed plaque and more. All in Tiffany blue and ivory. Its going to be amazing.
And the best part is that for as complicated of a cake that it is, I have complete confidence that I can do all of it :)!!! I can't wait! I'm been hoping to get to do some more elaborate cakes to add to my portfolio so I can really use all the things that I am learning. So this will be great. And I get to order some fun new supplies for it.
Its for a girl that works with Aaron so a big thanks to everyone at Firstwest for referring me :) I may also be doing a grooms cake for them.
So keep an eye out for future posts of my practice work getting ready for the big cake. This one is going to totally change my business. Once I get pics of this one on my website I'll be in a whole other class of decorators. No more super budget weddings for me. (note: this does not apply to friends and family. I'll always do cakes for you for low prices just cause I like you :))

I just have to say that one of my fav things about this cake is that when I met with the bride tonight she knew exactly what she wanted. She'd researched cakes, had pictures, had a drawing, color swatches, all of it. She was really prepared! It made it so easy to plan the cake and discuss options and details because I knew exactly was style she was going for. And since she knew what she wanted, and it wasn't so much about fitting it into a certain budget I felt like I could charge close to my regular rate. I probably should have charged more now that I'm looking at the cost for the supplies I will need to get, and the incredible amount of time it will take, but I don't care. I'm excited. And besides, one day I'll have lots of tools and won't have to get so many every time so I'll make more profit.

I remember my first wedding cake consultation. I was so nervous I felt sick. I kept thinking I was crazy for even thinking I could do a wedding cake. Every question the bride asked scared me and I was so insecure and uncertain about it all. I ended up only charging 75$ because I was so afraid if I wasn't cheap she go somewhere else and I wouldn't get a chance. Tonight was so different. I was excited and confident. It was such a great feeling.
I love cake.

Sorry for the dramatic rambling. I guess I've just never felt so sure of myself when it comes to a talent I have and it was a really good feeling. I've played piano for years, but still hate for anyone to be listening when I play. Same with singing, I love to sing. Love it, but I don't dare even join the ward choir for fear that I really don't sound all that good.
So to have something that I can do, all by myself, that I have taken time to learn, and actually been motivated to practice things and work at it, is really cool.
If you know me very well at all you'll know that practice is not something I've ever been very good at. I want to do things right the first time, and if I can't I tend to move on to something else. Just no attention span for it I guess.
I'm thrilled with myself that I've finally discovered something that I have a passion for, and that I have been able to keep at it, even if only for a year so far. So this is me patting myself on the back.
So thanks to everyone for supporting me, and especially to Grandma Jeffery for giving me her supplies, and to Aaron for believing in me enough to not be mad when I spend all our money on my new found love. And thanks to Evelyn for taking pics of my new practice cakes so I can create a great portfolio and look cool.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Kari, you're so cute! I love your ramblings. In fact, what you are saying is how I feel about photography. I've finally found my niche. I love having a passion and I'm glad that you've found something that you feel confident about. It brings new life to...well, life. :) Good luck! I can't wait to see this elaborate wedding cake!

Lechelle said...

That's great Kari! I'm excited for you. :)

Ken Hendricks said...

Kari wow that is so exciting and I am glad to hear that you felt confident and enjoyed the whole planning process. I can't wait to see it either. I am sooooooooooooooooooooo proud of you and your abilities. The best part is I didn't have to force you to practice and listen to the tears when you couldn't do it right the first time. Good Luck honey. Love you.

Aaron said...

I tell you Kari is so amazing! I've learned with her cake skills to just stay out of the kitchen and enjoy all the various cakes she makes. I think this cake will be one of her best yet! I love her and hope that she achieves all the success she want... One of the things that has gotten her here was some christmas presents (cake tools) I have her. I think she doesn't give herself enough credit for the work she does. I wouldn't know the first thing about making cakes as beautiful as she does!!!

Aaron said...

I tell you Kari is so amazing! I've learned with her cake skills to just stay out of the kitchen and enjoy all the various cakes she makes. I think this cake will be one of her best yet! I love her and hope that she achieves all the success she want... One of the things that has gotten her here was some christmas presents (cake tools) I have her. I think she doesn't give herself enough credit for the work she does. I wouldn't know the first thing about making cakes as beautiful as she does!!!

Stephanie said...

You go Girl!! (Yeah, I know - totally '90s, but you get the point). I really hope that one day I will find something that I am as passionate about as you are about making cakes. I admire you!

Sarah said...

I can totally feel your enthusiasm. We love you and are so happy for you. The money only matters if you waste it and we can all clearly see you aren't wasting it. You and Aaron are so cute the way you build each other up. You're cute!

GrannySharon said...

I ,too, loved reading your blog tonight! Congratulations on your talent!! You should be proud of yourself...your cakes ARE beautiful!!

K said...

the funny thing is, practice comes naturally when you are hungry for the thing you are doing (no pun intended). When you love something, you luxuriate in the work. So few things are like that in the world, and the fact that you have found yours is a tremendous blessing. We're so proud of you, and love to see the pictures of each new thing!!

Ken Hendricks said...

I think that it is great that you've found something that you love to do. Your cakes are amazing but I suspect that you have many talents just waiting to bloom that you will discover as you go through life. I think the secret is to not be afraid to do. I also think that your infectiousness will rub off on your kids thereby rewarding their lives. Go girl!