Thursday, August 30, 2007

Carrie's Cakes Class



WOW!!!! The last few days I got to go to the most amazing class! It was absolutely incredible and I definitely recommend it to anyone that does cakes, or wants to learn. She is the nicest lady you could ever meet and she totally opened her kitchen to us. We got to look in all the cupboards, ask her any questions we wanted, and see everything in action. She even shared her recipes with us!!!!! That was amazing, because not often do bakers want to share their recipes. So I know it sounds mean, considering she told us all hers, but I don't plan to share the secrets she taught me :). After all I did pay nearly $400 to learn them :)!! Well, I might share a few :).
She told us where she gets all her supplies, and where to get the best prices etc. And told us we can call her anytime if we have questions. She even asked me if I wanted a job!!! At the end of the second day she was looking at everyones projects and she told me she really thinks I have the right touch for this and asked if I ever want a job!!! That was such a huge compliment from someone so incredibly talented. She often calls former students to come work for her when she is in a busy season, or wants a little more help. Let me tell you, it is sooooo tempting!
Anyways, everything was great, I learned so much that otherwise would have taken years to figure out all on my own, and I meet some great people. There was even a mother and daughter there from Kuwait!! They came to utah just for her class. Pretty cool huh. I made some good friends and look forward to getting to know them better through other things, like the cake decorator club starting up here in Utah. They are having a convention in october and having starts from the food network come and teach!!! It will be so cool!! Now I just need to save my pennies so I can join the club and sign up for the convention :). Its a pretty expensive hobby, but there are so many incredible things that can be done.
Here are some pictures of my cake. We learned a lot of different things so its kinda just a lot of different things. I wanted to just do one complete cake so I could put it on my website, but it was too much fun playing with everything, and I can never decided on just one design :).
There was one downfall of the whole event. I came down with the stomach flu!!! On tuesday my friend and neighbor Camille, who is just awesome, babysat my kids. All day! Aaron ended up coming home sick after just a few hours so the kids ended up back and forth between Camille's and our house most the day. Thanks Camille for all your help. You are so great!!
So anyways, on my way home from class I was soooo tired! I could hardly drive, and I had been having a hard time standing up all day at the class. I figured I just needed a good nights sleep. When I got home I pretty much went right to bed. I tried eating dinner, but that made me feel worse so I hit the sack. Within a few hours I felt so awful. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to finish my class. The next day I woke up feeling pretty much the same, but I wasn't throwing up, so I gathered up the kiddos, still in their pj's, and headed to my moms. She tended the kids all day. THANKS MOM!!! And I went to class. It was kinda hard to do things because I felt pretty week and so my hands were kind of shaky, but I made it through the whole thing. After I got back to moms she tended me for a few hours until we went home. I got even sicker once I got home. I am thankful the worst held off until after my class. Today I'm still pretty sick, but thanks so a lot of medicine I seem to be managing. Anyways, I'm sure you love hearing all about my sickness :). Here are the pictures!!!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

So sorry that you aren't feeling well. It's never fun but I'm glad you had help from wonderful people!

Way cute cake! Gorgeous! Jadyn thought it looked like a quilt. The detail is incredible! At Thanksgiving I may have you do one for her birthday! You do have the touch!

Joan said...

Hope you are all better now..:) It's hard to put into words how to express the art of just how many different things you have on your cake.. It would be hard for me to pick one !!!! Keep up the GREAT work. and to be offered a job, is a wonderful complament.:)

Diana said...

Wow Kari that cake is gorgeous! I wish you lived by me so you could make a cake to Tori's Birthday in a few weeks,lol. It sounds like a great class, how horrible to have to be sick through it. I just love looking at your cakes. YOu are so talented =)

Anonymous said...

The cake is gorgeous!! You do have a remarkable talent. Hope you're feeling better soon. Sue

Kathy said...

Good pictures Kari. I did get to see the cake in person and the pictures really do it justice. The kids were cute and we had a fun day with them. We had to keep KC from trying to eat the plastic fruit. He stood at the table reaching for them and making little screeching sounds like he does when he wants food. It was pretty funny.

Regan said...

I know we've all been telling you how great your cakes are, but that's really cool that you got those great compliments from a professional! And you're still pretty new to this! The class sounds really awesome. I can't wait to see what else you come up with in the future!

Anonymous said...

Kari,
You do need to get your license! You are so good! I love the draped fondant and the fondant designs! It looks so good! That is amazing! Hope you're feeling better.

Liz said...

Kari, it sounds like you had an awesome time despite being sick toward the end. I'm glad it held off for you. Your cake looks awesome. I know it's some of everything, but I'd take it! It looks so cool. You really are talented. I'm jealous of your hobby. It sounds like you've found something you really love to do! Someday I'll find my true love...I mean my other true love. :)

Ginna said...

wow wow wow that cake is amazing. Those flowers are incredible!
That class sounds like so much fun. That's great that you got to do it. But how classic is it to get the flu half way through?!?! Why does it always have to work out that way. Hooray for moms and friends to help out.
I'm glad you still got to finish the class, that's at least a lucky thing, and it really looks like you learned a lot.

I'm going to have to come to UT for my next b-day so I can get the cake covered in flowers that I've dreamed of ever since I was 5!!!!! :) (It would probably have to have unicorns/fairies/hummingbirds on it to0)

Annie said...

Kari, the cake looks amazing!