Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Paranoia or valid concern??

Now I've never been the type to be overly paranoid about my kids, at least I don't think I am. I know a few people who freak out about everything, and I mean everything. Every little speck of dirt or even the idea of not knowing a persons entire life story is enough to disqualify them as a potential babysitter or playmate. The thought of a germ will send them running with their kids and keep them away from everyone for a week.
Don't get me wrong, I want my kids to be safe. I don't want to knowingly expose them to terrible sicknesses or bad people. I want to be aware of whats around them so they can be protected. But I also think they need room to be kids. To run and play, even if that means a scrapped knee occasionally or being around someone with a sniffly nose. I don't think you should follow right behind them constantly and hover over everything they do with the fear that they could drop a cookie on the floor and heaven forbid put it into their mouth afterwards. If you are one of these super over protective moms I don't mean to offend you, I just think somethings are a little extreme. But we all want to protect our kids because we love them and some of us just go about it in different ways.
So anyways, this brings me to my latest concern. We've all seen the numerous toy recalls in the news lately. And this has me a little worried. If I just had Parker I would worry so much as he doesn't put much in his mouth these days unless its edible. But with a little one that constantly is tasting his toys it freaks me out a little. One of the most recent is the Cars toys. Right now its just Sarge, but who knows if the others are tainted too and they just haven't found it yet? So this morning I found myself going through all our toys looking at where they are from and pulling out everything, and I mean everything made in China. This seems crazy to me, but I would just hate to think that little KC is chewing on a toy covered in lead paint that could do permanent damage to his development. Urhg!!!! I don't know what to do.
So I'm curious about how everyone else feels about the recalls right now and the safety of their toys. Its awful to think that you would buy a fun toy for your kids that they just love, and unknown to you it is actually hurting them. Do you think I'm beeing paranoid? How worried are you about your kids toys? Thanks for wieghing in on this, its always nice to get some more opinions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think removing the toys mentioned in the recall for sure and then putting the questionable ones away while more information comes would be a good plan. The lead based paint was used when I was a child and didn't damage everyone who was around it(or did it?). It will be interesting to see what else may be recalled in the future. I think it is impossible to may everything foolproof for kids. Sue

Regan said...

Fortunately, we haven't had any of the recalled toys in our house - YET. Tess had a doctor's appt this morning and the doctor was talking about all of these recalls and stuff. She said we should even be careful about using plastic teething toys, and heating up food in plastic containers (like the ones baby food comes in). I had heard before that there were chemicals in plastics, and you should be careful not to heat things in the microwave in them, and not reuse water bottles, etc. but I always thought it was a bit alarmist or extreme. Now that her doctor has mentioned it I'll probably try to be a bit more careful. She suggested using more popsicles, cold carrots or pickles, etc. for teething, rather than plastic toys to chew on. Interesting.

CoryAnn said...

well I personally have never worried about my kids toys until you mentioned something now the toy recall site is on my favorites so I can keep an eye on the toys so far none of them are toys we have we do have a sarge car but it is not die cast it is plastic and it was already thrown away because it is missing the back wheels. I think it pays to be cautious but not too much

Sarah said...

We have not had any of the toys. Kai has chewed on his McQueen and now it looks like it went through a drive-by! It does concern me because I count on kids things to be safe. It's a disappointment!

Liz said...

I was pretty shocked and alarmed, but I calmed myself down by reminding myself that Anders doesn't "eat" the toys. He'll bite and lick and taste, but he doesn't keep it in there forever. And babies have natural defenses against questionable substances entering their bodies (ie drool). I say, be wary, but not paranoid. You're doing great. I think I'll probably check out a few of our toys, too, to see where they were made. And I'll definitely be eliminating Sarge from the line-up.